Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 19 years ago

yur project sounds pretty cool.........

just tell me and I'll help in any way possible

:D

B)
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

Latu
On a Flight into Space

and just curious...............

is this like a history project or...............................

can't seem to think of a name for a project like this............

science..........no...........................well, just tell me at yur conveneince

well........................my history teacher wud have probably let me do somthing like this for the fair..........................oh shoot!!! I should have signed up, but i wud have to ask if i cud do it on astro first... :D
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

When I was at school, we had a major project each year. Year 9 was the Flight Project, so there were limitations there. But year 10 was the Bridging Project, which had to be a project that bridged two subjects. Pretty much anything could be justified. :D In year 11 it was Independent Investigation, which was basically anything goes. You also got to mark it youself, which was kind of dumb.

With the hindsight of over a decade, I can think of heaps of cool stuff I could have done. Stuff that would have interested me, rather than stuff I thought the teachers wanted to see.
Kind of like when you think of a really smart response to an argument you had yesterday.
If I were to do school again, I would have taken many more liberties in projects and only followed the "rules" as a guideline.

gecko
Kokoro Robot

Postby gecko » 19 years ago

Hi;

Latu;
Sorry, I'm sworn to secrecy. Can't give too much away. It's a senior technology project at a secondary (high) school. We have a history of cool projects that stay under wraps until the last moment. Much fun.

School is much more now with lots of real world and hands on subjects.

fafner;
I can't get Blender to use the MD2 script file. Do you know how to set this up?
I can't get it to load the MD2 in the scripts window, but can get it up in the text edit window. It's called 'import-md2-0.14.py' and seems to be a normal text file. This is on the Mac OSX version. I searched the Blender and Python FAQ and knowledge base stuff but I think the question is too basic for them!

Thanks

gecko

Latu
On a Flight into Space

o0o

i understand ;)

srry for the inconvenience
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by gecko@Feb 27 2005, 09:14 PM
I can't get Blender to use the MD2 script file. Do you know how to set this up?
I can't get it to load the MD2 in the scripts window, but can get it up in the text edit window. It's called 'import-md2-0.14.py' and seems to be a normal text file. This is on the Mac OSX version. I searched the Blender and Python FAQ and knowledge base stuff but I think the question is too basic for them!

After a quick search I found that MilkShape 3D seems to be the only one truely supporting Quake2 format. That's the one proposed by DrFrag, and sadly, it is shareware, but even more sadly it is Windows-only software, not even working with wine :(
However if you have an importer but don't know how to have it work, send me the link to its page and I may be able to find how it works.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Milkshape supports dozens of formats. Surely it can spit out a file that Blender can handle.

gecko
Kokoro Robot

Hi,

Latu;

No inconvenience. We just needed some expertise to get a few questions answered that's all. Otherwise we would have just kept quiet until the project was finished. Sorry to get you excited about what we're up to.

gecko

gecko
Kokoro Robot

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their help. The demo version of MilkShape 3D imports the MD2 Astro file and even allows export as DXF (even though it says export is disabled). If anyone wants a copy of the astro.dxf file then just say. It's 112kb so file to email. It comes up in our CAD program nicely. Now to settle down to the real work!

Thanks again,

gecko

Fasty
Metro City Citizen

Postby Fasty » 19 years ago

Hi guys!

Been so caught up in watching all my new Astroboy DVD's I haven't had time to come here in a while lol.

Anyway I hope I'm not too late for your project. I searched through all my archive cds (well, two of them anyway) and found my old astroboy 3d model. It's not the greatest and he still needs some texture maps because in my animation you don't see his face I didn't bother to paint him one on!

I converted the model into every format I could. The best one by far is the Lightwave object (.lwo). If you use Lightwave go with that. The others are really dodgy and need smoothing because I made him using subpatches. So in 3D Max you'd meshsmooth the model to get him looking right as far as I know. In XSI you'd hit the + key a couple of times. No idea about Maya.

Enough rambling here is the model.

http://www.stu-art.net.au/freebies/astro/sm_astro.zip

And here is the animation of him in action :D

http://www.stu-art.net.au/videos/astro.mov

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”