Metric System vs. America

Off topic discussion.
stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Metric System vs. America

Postby stoogefreaky » 17 years ago

I'm raised doing the standard system, so I hate the Metric system. IT IS SO CONFUSING! I have math homework using the metric crud.

I don't know why America was born using the standard and all the places in the world use Metric! :mad:

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

What is the metric system?

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

If you use Celsius instead of Farenheit and meters instead of inches, then you are using the Metric System.

I use both (partly because of the US shipping all kinds of items over here... :rolleyes: ...but also because older people are still more comfortable with the imperial system and habits are hard to break!). Give yourself a little bit of time, stoogefreaky, because it's (IMO) the simpler of the two, since everything goes by 10.
Last edited by Astro Forever on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo and clarification

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

THe US system seems based upon arbitrary distances, etc. I, for one find it much easier to work with meters, Kilometers, picometers, etc, which are all multiples of 10, 100, 1000, etc. 12 inches in a foot, 5xxx feet per mile, 32 degrees is freezing etc. What a pain. However, I admit that the US system is what I have been using since childhood; But that is its only advantage: I am already familiar with it. Who wants to do fractions when looking for the right socket? You need to know right off that 7/16 > 11/32! Why couldn't they just express these as decimals rather than fractions? :D

Ok, so the 'foot' was the length of the king's foot, but why make the mile 5280 feet instead of 1000, 2000, or some sensible multiple of 10? :shifty:

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Oh I see now thanks you guys.

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

You know what, all mesurment units are hard for me.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 17 years ago

"stoogefreaky" wrote:You know what, all mesurment units are hard for me.

Maybe you are trying too much to put a meaning on them. The only measurment units I really understand are centimeters (roughly inches), meters (roughly feet) and seconds. Beyond that I can't really "feel" units, even millimeters, tens of meters (I don't "see" the difference between 100 and 500 meters). Temperature is even more abstract to me (I only understand cold, warm, and neutral). Accelerations (distance divided by the square of time) is something I don't even understand on an intuitive level.
Nevertheless, I never had troubles deducing formulae (sometimes rather complex) and making the calculations afterwards. I think it comes from the fact that when I manipulate them I don't try to put meaning on them, because at this level, meaning is useless. What is useful is the relations between measurement units: speed is distance divided by time, acceleration is speed divided by time, or distance divided twice by time (divided by the square of time), etc. Once the useless meaning is discarded, and the relations well known, everything becomes easy. At least for me...
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

I found it hard my self.

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

I have a math test on Monday!!! I'm going to have to memorize the covertions from Standard to Metric.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

How many?

I know of inche to centimeters (2.54), kilogram to pounds (2.2), miles to kilometers (around 1.6) and I really have to take a few minutes to memorize forever Farenheit to Celsius because it would be really useful in my everyday life!

Return to “General Discussion”