What is Astro's last name? Tenma? None needed?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

What is Astro's last name? Tenma? None needed?

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Now that I've discovered astroboy-online.com all my age-old questions are being answered, one by one! You guys are amazing -- so here's one I've pondered for a while: do Astro and his family (and his family make-up depends upon the series) have a surname?

How would he sign his schoolwork? "The Mighty Atom?" I don't THINK so...

just wondering, in case somewhere out there, this was ever indicated!

Thanks!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

I do not think so; I have referred to the Tetsuwan (Mighty) family, but I was merely using that, in the absence of any other name.

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 14 years ago

Astor Boynton?
Astro Tenma?
Tobio Tenma?
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

I think the Astor Boyton name was only used in the English dub of the 60s anime to help with the switch to Astro Boy.
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

In the movie if you look closely at Toby's test results, in the bottom right hand corner it says 'Toby Tenma'. Another bit of evidence is at the end when Tenma tells Orrin to call him Bill, so that'd make him Bill Tenma. Plus when you say Dr someone you always call them by their last name.

So Astro would be called Astro Tenma.

Out of the movie...Boy, i think that's his last name XD or Mighty.

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 14 years ago

His first name would be Astro and his last name would be Boy. lol Just kidding. So when somebody called on him they would say Mr. Boy.

Carm the Shoe Whisperer
Kokoro Robot

Postby Carm the Shoe Whisperer » 14 years ago

Maybe he could be a mononymous person. Like Madonna or Cher.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mononymous_persons

AstroBoyLuvr
Kokoro Robot

Postby AstroBoyLuvr » 14 years ago

Hmm.. in the movie his name was Toby Tenma an just plain Astro Boy... so... I don't think Astro had a last name, but Toby had a last name. ;)

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

This brings up the question of Astro's status in the world portrayed in the movie. Is he a human with free will, or is he property? If any of the events of the movie ever happened in the real world, I'd say there would be great debates about this. And both sides would have valid points, as per the abortion issue. I understand that Tezuka used robots as a metaphor for the oppressed classes in any society, but for me, the robots-as-oppressed-minority, as a metaphor, is a bit too broad. Because clearly Astro is not like any other robot - remember, he was so convincing as a human that he fooled Cora, a robot hunter, and Hamegg, an ace robot mechanic - so what sets him apart? IMO the key difference is the Blue Core. Tenma could have programmed his Toby substitute with Toby's memories, voice and mannerisms, but he would have been nothing but a very advanced robotic doll at best - without the Core. It's funny than Tenma thought his robot son would even need the core. Clearly other robots were powered with other fuels. What is it about the Core that made Tenma decide that he had to have it for his resurrected - or perhaps "reincarnated" is the better word - son? And what made Elefun agree with him? It had to be more than the "can't-refuse-a-grieving-father" excuse.

To me, continuing the adventures of the movie version of Astro would have to involve a deeper analysis of the properties of the Blue Core. And if it were written well, it could be quite fascinating.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Now that I've discovered astroboy-online.com all my age-old questions are being answered, one by one! You guys are amazing -- so here's one I've pondered for a while: do Astro and his family (and his family make-up depends upon the series) have a surname?

How would he sign his schoolwork? "The Mighty Atom?" I don't THINK so...

just wondering, in case somewhere out there, this was ever indicated!

Thanks!

As I understand this question, and I do think it could be more clearly stated, the family in question is the robot family, Uran, Cobalt, Chitan, and the robotic parents. Hence, my answer as already stated: "The Tetsuwan family." I say this because of this "family make-up depends upon the series." AprilSeven, will you please make clear your question?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”