What is Astro's last name? Tenma? None needed?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

I like the way you think!!!

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

"Laughing Dragon" wrote:This brings up the question of Astro's status in the world portrayed in the movie. Is he a human with free will, or is he property? If any of the events of the movie ever happened in the real world, I'd say there would be great debates about this. And both sides would have valid points, as per the abortion issue. I understand that Tezuka used robots as a metaphor for the oppressed classes in any society, but for me, the robots-as-oppressed-minority, as a metaphor, is a bit too broad. Because clearly Astro is not like any other robot - remember, he was so convincing as a human that he fooled Cora, a robot hunter, and Hamegg, an ace robot mechanic - so what sets him apart? IMO the key difference is the Blue Core. Tenma could have programmed his Toby substitute with Toby's memories, voice and mannerisms, but he would have been nothing but a very advanced robotic doll at best - without the Core. It's funny than Tenma thought his robot son would even need the core. Clearly other robots were powered with other fuels. What is it about the Core that made Tenma decide that he had to have it for his resurrected - or perhaps "reincarnated" is the better word - son? And what made Elefun agree with him? It had to be more than the "can't-refuse-a-grieving-father" excuse.

To me, continuing the adventures of the movie version of Astro would have to involve a deeper analysis of the properties of the Blue Core. And if it were written well, it could be quite fascinating.

Assuming all robotic "fuel" is shaped into a standard "super ball" sized object -- Tenma was, perhaps, expecting a rubber stamp of organic Toby. But the impact of the positive energy altered Astro's outlook and responses to things, which, in turn, is what freaked Tenma out. My sense is that he (Tenma) figured the blue core would go further to "protect" robot-Toby, and that's why he wanted it and Elefun agreed.

As for what the core "did" - it's interesting to note the differences between Toby and Astro...

...when Stone asked Toby if he was interested in military robots, the response was an enthusiastic "Yes sir!" followed up with a comment designed to engage Stone in further discussion. When Astro opened the DaVinci book to "War Machines," he made a clear face of displeasure, "hrmphed" and flipped the page. "Flight" made his eyes light up. Blue core (positive energy) at work.

Likewise -- when he made small talk with Orin at breakfast and Tenma quipped "Just let the robot do it's thing," Astro made a little sneer and snapped "Fine!" Again -- the blue core effect (he sees Orin as equal, not less). And also with the silly calculus cowboy (put on the captions and check out the lyrics -- it's a hoot) -- Astro is brilliant but playful. Toby was brilliant but cocky (remember his comments leaving the classroom, and how his fellow students fired a book at him?). So I don't know if the core made Astro "more" human -- but it certainly made him more likable (as Stone would say, "Nobody likes a smartypants kid!")

I'm guessing the next "chapter" in the 2009 movie storyline would involve replicating enough blue core energy for Astro to continue to survive and to restore the Earth (the original plan for the core); and the property vs. freedom for robots issue. One reason I'm enjoying the "Pluto" manga is because they dig into the moral issues you bring up.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;97451]Now that I've discovered astroboy-online.com all my age-old questions are being answered, one by one! You guys are amazing -- so here's one I've pondered for a while: do Astro and his family (and his family make-up depends upon the series) have a surname?

How would he sign his schoolwork? "The Mighty Atom?" I don't THINK so...

just wondering, in case somewhere out there, this was ever indicated!

Thanks!

As I understand this question, and I do think it could be more clearly stated, the family in question is the robot family, Uran, Cobalt, Chitan, and the robotic parents. Hence, my answer as already stated: "The Tetsuwan family." I say this because of this "family make-up depends upon the series." AprilSeven, will you please make clear your question?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Has it ever been officially established that Atom has a last name?

Sorry, I do get wordy :blush:

And I gather the answer is "no"

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;97477][QUOTE=AprilSeven;97451]Now that I've discovered astroboy-online.com all my age-old questions are being answered, one by one! You guys are amazing -- so here's one I've pondered for a while: do Astro and his family (and his family make-up depends upon the series) have a surname?

How would he sign his schoolwork? "The Mighty Atom?" I don't THINK so...

just wondering, in case somewhere out there, this was ever indicated!

Thanks!

As I understand this question, and I do think it could be more clearly stated, the family in question is the robot family, Uran, Cobalt, Chitan, and the robotic parents. Hence, my answer as already stated: "The Tetsuwan family." I say this because of this "family make-up depends upon the series." AprilSeven, will you please make clear your question?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Has it ever been officially established that Atom has a last name?

Sorry, I do get wordy :blush:

And I gather the answer is "no"[/QUOTE]
As a replacement for Tobio, yes, it would be Tenma (or 'Boynton' for the B&W dub); but if you are asking about as a child of his 'parent' robots, I believe not.

clashing claws
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby clashing claws » 14 years ago

I'm not sure what his last name is........................................... maybe tenma
[sigpic][/sigpic] Astro boy is the best :D

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 14 years ago

Astro's last name is "Boy." :)

AprilSeven
Silent Song

"jayrath" wrote:Astro's last name is "Boy." :)

naaahhhh can't be so! Uran Boy? Cobalt Boy? (or, if you're old school: Astro Girl Boy? can't be true!)

In the 60's version does he refer to his last name as "Boynton" when he "needs" a last name. Not sure about the 80's. I think he kinda figured out that he's "technically" a Tenma in the '03 version (but you sense he looks to Dr. O'Shay/Elefun/Ochanomizu as his "real" father).

And seeing as how there was a nice happy ending to the 2009 movie, my guess is he will consider himself Astro Tenma.

Wonder why Dr E/O/O never "adopted" him. hmmmmm. That REALLY would have ticked Tenma off.

whattaya think?

AND HE NEEDS A MIDDLE NAME! hmmm Something simple, no-nonsense and human. How about --- Kevin? :cool:

I'm SUCH a mom!

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 14 years ago

Complicated issue. I think there are four approaches I can think of given whats already been said.

The first is the mononymous name approach in which case his name is simply Astro or Atom.

The second option would be to simply give Astro the last name of the boy he was based on. Thus his last name would either be Boynton or Tenma.

You could give him the last name of his current father figure. Thus making his last name Ochanomizu, Elefun or O'Shay (or maybe one of the other variations.) or in the case of the 80's version he may take the name of his robot parents (which presents more problems)

Finally, if robot's were classed as property, then you could have the last name being the owners name, thus it could again be Elefun, or at one stage the name of the circus master (as he was like a slave at that point)

His middle name? Well obviously it has to be Toby
Lets back it up nice and slow now...

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Awwww yeah, I like that!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

I always assumed his last name would be Tenma and, yes, his middle name should be Toby (although do they have middle names in Japan? I doubt it.)

I hardly see Astro as a Tenma in the 2003 series however, because Tenma isn't exactly nice and he doesn't remember his past anyway. I don't know what it would be, probably Ochanomizu. In the manga, well Tenma sold him and disowned him... so why would he go by Tenma? :unsure:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

See? Confusing, isn't it? Funny how Tezuka focused on some fascinating insights and projections of the future -- but skipped over that kind of basic character information.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”