This movie makes me sad...

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

DVD sales have helped movies get sequels before (Hellboy) so maybe it can happen for Astro Boy as well

PsychoShinji
Kokoro Robot

Postby PsychoShinji » 14 years ago

There were so many different thread discussions about the CGI movie that I didn't want to repost this and be redundant, hehe... But! I wrote a letter to the CEO of Summit Entertainment a few months ago to express my love for the Astro Boy movie. I know that Summit is merely the distributor of the film, and that is why I specifically chose to write to them- Because many of us had observed that the movie was (and still is, to a degree) poorly advertised. There was very little promotional material to back up such a wonderful film. Of course, I'm not going to be surprised if I NEVER hear back from him, but it was worth a try. And you know that I will most definitely post here if I do ever receive any sort of reply. If it's worth anything, guys, I did make mention of these forums to him- I described these forums as an excellent way for him to experience the fandom and their overwhelmingly supportive reactions to the new movie. (And this was before I even joined the forums and had just been a lurker at the time). My hope was that I would at least help him to see that Summit had in some ways dropped the ball when it came to promotion for the film and that there IS quite a large fanbase who would like to see another film. I would have written to Imagi, but they already know what a brilliant film they made despite the unfortunate circumstances they are now facing... it seemed to be Summit that didn't realize what a gem they had on their hands as distributor. Sigh... well, we shall see. I wholeheartedly agree with the opinions I've seen stated here about the film and what a crying shame it is that it may not see a sequel or even fantastic profits for the talented people who created it.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:DVD sales have helped movies get sequels before (Hellboy) so maybe it can happen for Astro Boy as well

Are you serious!? In that case I'm gonna buy the Japanese version too when it comes out on Yesasia.com, looks like they're doing a cool boxset too. :heart: _ :heart:

"PsychoShinji" wrote:There were so many different thread discussions about the CGI movie that I didn't want to repost this and be redundant, hehe... But! I wrote a letter to the CEO of Summit Entertainment a few months ago to express my love for the Astro Boy movie. I know that Summit is merely the distributor of the film, and that is why I specifically chose to write to them- Because many of us had observed that the movie was (and still is, to a degree) poorly advertised. There was very little promotional material to back up such a wonderful film. Of course, I'm not going to be surprised if I NEVER hear back from him, but it was worth a try. And you know that I will most definitely post here if I do ever receive any sort of reply. If it's worth anything, guys, I did make mention of these forums to him- I described these forums as an excellent way for him to experience the fandom and their overwhelmingly supportive reactions to the new movie. (And this was before I even joined the forums and had just been a lurker at the time). My hope was that I would at least help him to see that Summit had in some ways dropped the ball when it came to promotion for the film and that there IS quite a large fanbase who would like to see another film. I would have written to Imagi, but they already know what a brilliant film they made despite the unfortunate circumstances they are now facing... it seemed to be Summit that didn't realize what a gem they had on their hands as distributor. Sigh... well, we shall see. I wholeheartedly agree with the opinions I've seen stated here about the film and what a crying shame it is that it may not see a sequel or even fantastic profits for the talented people who created it.

I just love it someone says something so inspirational that it leaves me speechless and I'm only able to reply 'couldn't have said it any better x3'

I went to the cinema three times and in those times during Astro Boy was out I did not see a trailer for it before each movie started, and only saw TV spots for it twice. In fact the only way I found out about the movie was through youtube. What's more the film was only being shown on Fridays and the weekend and wasn't on all week.

Now lets take a step back at Dreamwork's How to Train Your Dragon coming out. There's been tones of publicity for that, and it's not even out at the cinema where I am yet. Summit, we need to talk buddy! :d oh:

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Not sure what this means, but...

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

Imagi's stock is soaring. From Bloomberg Business Week:

April 15 (Bloomberg) -- Hong Kong’s stock index rose for a second day after China’s inflation climbed less-than-estimated and JPMorgan Chase & Co. reported earnings that beat analysts’ forecast. Aluminum Corp. of China Ltd., the nation’s biggest maker of the lightweight metal, gained 2.6 percent. HSBC Holdings Plc, which made 20 percent of its 2009 revenue in North America, advanced 2.2 percent. Trading in Imagi International Holdings Ltd. was suspended after the maker of the “Astro Boy” animated movie soared 616 percent in the last four days.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-04-15/hong-kong-s-hang-seng-index-rises-as-china-policy-risk-eases.html

I wish the story had mentioned why Imagi's stock is suddenly being snapped up like candy. But maybe this is a good sign...

Faram45
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Faram45 » 14 years ago

Could be.

PsychoShinji
Kokoro Robot

Postby PsychoShinji » 14 years ago

I just love it someone says something so inspirational that it leaves me speechless and I'm only able to reply 'couldn't have said it any better x3'

I went to the cinema three times and in those times during Astro Boy was out I did not see a trailer for it before each movie started, and only saw TV spots for it twice. In fact the only way I found out about the movie was through youtube. What's more the film was only being shown on Fridays and the weekend and wasn't on all week.

Now lets take a step back at Dreamwork's How to Train Your Dragon coming out. There's been tones of publicity for that, and it's not even out at the cinema where I am yet. Summit, we need to talk buddy! :d oh:

Aww, thanks! :3 I made sure to mention in my letter that I convinced my 56 year old father to go and see the movie with me, and he loved it. (He is also into anime, mostly to support me, but he wasn't into AstroBoy until after the movie). Haha, my IRL friends would attest to the fact that I've been really pushing the whole "buy the DVD!" thing. I got a group of friends to go to the movie twice, and they seemed to really like it. But I really wanted to express to the CEO what they did right (i.e. backing Imagi's wonderful film) and what they could have improved upon for future references (i.e. well, ya know XD). I have to admit, I feel a little pang of jealousy whenever I hear people raving about how AWESOME "How to Train Your Dragon" is. I keep thinking "...but... but Astro Boy... and the... box office figurrrres..."*sob*

And that is great news about Imagi's stocks going up!!! They need all of the encouragement and support they can get! Reading Felix Ip's blog really brought a tear to my eye, so I'm glad to see that Imagi is doing well in that respect. Here's hoping for a full resurrection of those talented folks' careers! :heart:

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 14 years ago

I really hope they make a sequel. The movie ended with so many possible story lines. Especially Astro and Cora or between Astro and Dr. Tenma. And those are just a couple of ideas.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"PsychoShinji" wrote:

Aww, thanks! :3 I made sure to mention in my letter that I convinced my 56 year old father to go and see the movie with me, and he loved it. (He is also into anime, mostly to support me, but he wasn't into AstroBoy until after the movie). Haha, my IRL friends would attest to the fact that I've been really pushing the whole "buy the DVD!" thing. I got a group of friends to go to the movie twice, and they seemed to really like it. But I really wanted to express to the CEO what they did right (i.e. backing Imagi's wonderful film) and what they could have improved upon for future references (i.e. well, ya know XD). I have to admit, I feel a little pang of jealousy whenever I hear people raving about how AWESOME "How to Train Your Dragon" is. I keep thinking "...but... but Astro Boy... and the... box office figurrrres..."*sob*

I KNOW!!!! Those people who rave about Dragon and who probably overlooked Astro Boy don't know what they're talking about. Dragon was good, but nowhere NEAR as good, especially when it comes to endearing characters and heartfelt moments. Astro Boy beats Dragon in those areas any day!

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

hi- they also got the caring heart of ASTRO BOY RIGHT-

Saint Atom
Kokoro Robot

Postby Saint Atom » 14 years ago

:shifty: everyone hates my opinion but i'll say it anyway. I hate the movie and found it to be a god-awful monstrosity and a disgrace to the little heros legacy :astro: in all respects. I was so disappointed after viewing it and even more disappointed that more people did not see it for the crap that it was. It was nothing more than your typical kiddie-flick, none of the deep storylines about extreme racial conflicts(blue knight) were there. instead we got "robots are slaves" then "oh no wait, robots are friends, happy-crappy ending for all!" :sick: . It was a dumb waste of time, imagi wanted to make a kids movie and they slapped astro's face on it to sucker his fans into going. the occasional hyoutan-tsugi :hyo: and higeoyaji cameos did not make up for the crap that the movie was. People complain about astro not seeming cute enough in the 03 dub, so why is nobody as shocked as I am to see this awkward-muscle teen thing thats supposed to be astro. its just my opinion but I can't understand how nobody sees eye to eye on me with this. I want this movie buried and I personally have taken the stance to forget it ever happened.
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :hyo: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”