Pluto by Naoki Urasawa (SPOILERS)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fasty
Metro City Citizen

Postby Fasty » 15 years ago

Just thought I'd post a heads-up to those in Australia (and the rest of the world no doubt) who wanted to buy the comic rather than read it online... volumes 1 and 2 are out now!

http://www.minotaur.com.au/site.asp?action=search&keywords=pluto&titleauthor=all&searchpreviews=++&ptypetheme=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit

WingedSerpent
Kokoro Robot

Postby WingedSerpent » 15 years ago

Well, as of April 5, PLUTO is complete with 65 chapters.

As far as the last chapter goes, I think it was very faithful to the original material, not only emphasizing Tezuka's original message of peace, but also borrowing imagery in a fashion that was quite poetic (at least to me).

*spoiler*The very ending, with Brau-1589 destroying the Thracian super computer, was pretty cool. *spoiler*

I'm still working on an overall study of the manga, by volume, which I'll post the link to soon.
[sigpic][/sigpic] = :heart:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 15 years ago

Thanks! I just finished reading it, & now need to reread it.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Does anyone know the bald-guy's name? He appears in several chapters, including #26.

Wolf
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Wolf » 15 years ago

Here is a comparison chart between Tezuka's original Astro Boy design's and Urasawa's Pluto designs:

http://comicsworthreading.com/2009/04/19/pluto-astro-boy-character-comparison/
Last edited by Wolf on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Downsize the image

jeffbert
Minister of Science

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I have been beaten to the punch! My whole approach to Astroboy is comparing one version against the others, such as this page clearly shows:
http://tezukainenglish.com/?q=node/307

I have been working on adding the Pluto stuff to my coverage of Greatest Robot, but publication is still months away. :lol: Anyway, thanks for sharing, Wolf.

BTW, this image is very wide, I would appreciate it if you downsize it a bit, say, to no more than 800 pixels wide.
Last edited by jeffbert on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WingedSerpent
Kokoro Robot

Postby WingedSerpent » 15 years ago

Wolf, that is awesome. Comics Worth Reading... always good.

Hmm, bald guy, Jeffbert? Chapter 26... oh! He appears to be a robot used/instructed by Abra to do things such as spying, and protecting Pluto's whereabouts. That insect thing is weird, though.
[sigpic][/sigpic] = :heart:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”