2003 Alternate English Dub

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Jeffbert mentioned an alternate English dub in another thread (which I can't find anymore). It looks like some kind of promotional/pilot episode, with Mona Marshall doing the voice of Astroboy (instead of Candi Milo).

I haven't seen it available commercially, but I found it as Astro.Boy.¾ÆÅè.2003.01.avi (285MB).
The foreign symbols in the filename spell "Atom" in Korean, providing your web broswer is displaying it properly.

There's an Animax logo in the corner so it must have been broadcast in Japan. There is no opening or closing sequence, only pages of Japanese which I can't read. The episode is also subtitled in Japanese.

IMO, Astro's voice is better in this version (sounds less arrogant), although some of the other character voices lack punch.

I noticed something interesting in the end credits. The voice of Dr O'Shay (Dr Elefun) was done by Anthony Mozdy, but the character is written as "Dr. OCHA".
He was always called Dr Ochanomizu in the Japanese, which translates as Tea Water ("Ocha No Mizu", Ocha=Tea and Mizu=Water).
This seems to have been shortened to Dr Ocha for the alternate dub, and it's not a big jump to turn this into Dr Oshay.
There was some contention when his new name was announced, because there seemed absolutely no good reason why he now had what appeared to be an Irish name. But now I see it written it's not too bad - they seemed to have brought it a bit closer to the original name given by Tezuka.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

I should mention there's another file around the place with the similar name of Astro Boy ¾ÆÅè 2003 01.avi (240MB). This is the common Japanese language bootleg with a large clock in the corner and no subtitles.

Fasty
Metro City Citizen

Postby Fasty » 19 years ago

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Interesting about the O'Shay, Ocha connection.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”