Anime shops in Melbourne

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

I'm going to Melbourne this weekend. Does anyone know some good anime stores there?

I have this slightly out of date listing:
http://www.mas.org.au/shops.php
(Which has a few in the Box Hill area where I'll be B) )
I was wondering if anyone has some personal experience of anime/manga shopping in Melbourne. Where are the best places?

Thanks

Fasty
Metro City Citizen

Postby Fasty » 19 years ago

Minotaur have a range, but it's not their speciality

http://www.minotaur.com.au/

Haven't been to many anime stores so when I went to Alternate Worlds on Chapel St I was completely blown away :D So much cool stuff! Excellent DVD selection. I would recommend them.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Thanks Fasty. I'll have to go back to get some furniture for my wife soon (800km to the nearest Ikea! ;) so perhaps I can get some more shopping done. I've marked down Bourke St as another one to check out.

While in Box Hill, I visited six anime stores all within a block of each other. :wahah:

The best by far was Animezone. They have a huge range of anime DVDs, models, posters, videos, toys, etc. They have an entire glass display cabinet just of Astroboy stuff. I bought a wall scroll, a notebook with Astro on the cover, six fantastically detailed models, and an almost complete pack of Astroboy trading cards from 1996 (which I didn't even know existed - my most prized purchase).
I also checked out Anime Plus, which had a few posters and a massive range of DVDs but there wasn't anything I was particularly after (I already have the Astro DVDs they're selling). Hobby Japan had heaps of models and a few posters and I think they rent out anime videos. The models were a bit more expensive, but a big range. Century Culture Company and Po Hong had some interesting stuff, but mostly Chinese manga and various newsagent type things. Hikaru Gift Shop isn't there anymore. There was also a comic store but I missed it.

I also got to see an Astroboy tattoo that one of my cousins has. It's kind of distorted because it's on her tummy and she's had children, but it's still cool. B)

Squig
Kokoro Robot

Postby Squig » 19 years ago

Ohhh, Hey Dr Frag! Are those trading cards completely in Japanese and show pictures from the comics? with special foil Astroboy cards at the end?
Did you get any spare/repeat foil cards? :D

I purchased a box of these a number of years ago and got a set of normal cards but am still missing some of the foil cards. These trading cards are almost impossible to find. :(

If you're missing any of the normal cards I might be able to help you out. :)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

YES! :wahah: and NO! :cry:

I have no foil cards or repeats. In fact, I have nothing beyond card 120 (apart from the checklist cards) where it starts showing other works by Tezuka. They were only selling the Astroboy cards, and I'm missing 14 of them.

I've found three sites where people are trading them, but they're all in Japanese so I'm a bit stuck.
Here (no list - they haven't sorted through them)
Here (vol2? I'm not sure if this is the same thing)
[url=http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Toys/1941/single/nonsport/single_nonsport_anime_list.html#Žè’ËŽ¡’ŽƒRƒŒƒNƒVƒ‡ƒ“ƒJ[ƒh‚u‚‚ŒD‚Q]And here[/url] (this might interest you - there's 9 foil cards on offer)

I'm after cards 11, 20, 29, 32, 53, 62, 65, 74, 83, 92, 101, 104, 110, and 115. Please PM me if you can help and maybe we can make a deal. :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”